A Way Forward: Sustainable ICTs And Regional Sustainability
AbstractFrom the participatory action research we have conducted in two rural communities in Australia we suggest six factors that assist in achieving sustainability for ICT initiatives undertaken in pursuit of regional development. They include:
- Clearly specified sustainability goals;
- Leveraging micro-business enterprise development off government funded technical and human infrastructure provision, and using local industry strengths;
- Learning from global experiences whilst building on local assets;
- Finding innovative business models to capitalise on new opportunities for content and applications;
- Ensuring community involvement in deciding, planning and evaluating projects; and
- Adopting a learning approach.
All material submitted to the Journal of Community Informatics is protected by and subject to the Creative Commons Public License "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International". Subject to the following conditions, all material submitted to the Journal of Community Informatics may be freely copied, distributed, or displayed, or modified:
- Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under a license identical to this one.
See the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License for complete details.